Want to be eco friendly and save money too? Then maybe the non disposable menstrual cup is for you!
Why the reusable cup?
- Reusable and eco friendly
- Saves money
- Less odor
- Can not feel once placed
- Many come free of chemicals, dyes, latex or plastic
- Many 100% health grade silicone
- 12 hours leak free protection for most women
- Can be used for all sports & activities including swimming
- Can be left in place overnight
- Remove and wash with plain soap and water
- Sits low in vagina so fits nearly all women (held in place by vaginal muscles)
- Can be used with an IUD–make sure your string has not been left very long first
- Collects blood vs absorbing- does not dry out vagina
- Does not change vaginal pH as some tampons can nor kill normal vaginal bacteria
- Learning curve for placement and removal
- May not fit everyone and may need to try more than one to find your perfect fit
- Must dispose of blood, rinse and replace. Can be done shower or toilet–hard to do in public restroom!
- Some manufactures recommend sterilizing after each cycle
- Does not increase risk of infection but should not be used if you suspect a vaginal infection.
The cup is fine for woman and girls of all ages. Comes in different sizes, shapes, and firmness. Manufacturers will make recommendations based on your age and if you’ve delivered any children. The firmer ones tend to open more easily once placed in the vagina but may be harder to place.
Can be worn during intercourse but is not a contraceptive nor does it protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
Placement is similar to a tampon.
More questions? We now have ‘demo’ Diva Cups at the office if you want to see one. I can help teach you how to place and remove especially if you bring in your Cup.
Make appointment Parksideobgyn.com or call 303 758 0072
The British equivalent of our FDA, the MHRA, issued a warning that some medications can decrease the effectiveness of emergency contraception like Plan B (levonorgestrel) and ELLA (ulipristal) .
These medications can speed up the liver’s breakdown of hormones and can also effect oral contraceptive pills.
These medications include treatments for :
- fungal infections
- St Johns Wart
Although the warning does no yet exist in the US, speak to your gynecologist or pharmacist medications listed above you have taken in the 4 weeks prior to use of emergency contraception as a ‘double dose’ may be appropriate.
Emergency contraception always works best if used as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse.
Emergency contraception is available over the counter for all women all ages.
Information from WebMD Health news for gynecologists.
Ever wonder why your cheeks are so red? Acne medication doesn’t help your break outs? Visible blood vessels around your nose and on cheeks?
You could be one of 14 million women suffering from Rosacea.
The cause of rosacea is unknown (genetic? environmental? microscopic skin mites?) but the risk factors are:
- Female aged 30-60
- fair complexion
- family members with rosacea
- northern europeans
- erythematotlangiectatic- redness,flushing,visible blood vessels
- acneform- red bumps, papules or pustules. Unlike acne there are no blackheads
- rhinophyma- thickened skin of nose and surrounding area
- eye/ocular-burning,redness,inflammation of inner lid
YOU CAN GET ROSACEA UNDER CONTROL!
First avoid triggers:
- Sun, wind and extremes in temperature
- hot tub/baths and saunas
- Hot drinks
- Spicy food
- Topical irritants found in many cosmetics and sunscreens especially alcohol
- H. Pylori found in the gut
Prescription medication is available for more serious cases. Topical agents include metronidazole, azelaic acid, and now brimonidine (Mirvasco). Oral antibiotics or isotretinoin (Accutaine) used for acne may help as well.
Careful use of laser to treat red vessels.
Yellow or green tints in rosacea safe products can help cover the red.
LET US HELP
In addition to evaluation, diagnosis and medical therapy we carry Rosacea Safe Products:
Elta MD Clear Sunscreen SPF46 is lightweight and sensitivity free. It contains niacinamide that helps reduce blemishes,discoloration and photo damage. Now comes in Tinted.
Colorescience ‘Skin Calming About Face’ Primer SPF 20 calms and hydrates. Packed with antioxidants helps diminish redness and irritation.
Obagi Gentle Rejuvenation Line: Skin Calming Cream, Gentle Rejuvenation Serum,Advanced Night Repair. . Finally a rejuvenation line for sensitive skin. Theses combine natural growth factors Kinetin and Zeatin clinically proven to improve the appearance of sun damaged skin. Good for all sensitive skin types and backed by Obagi’s money back guarantee.
Always be gentle with your skin if you have rosacea and avoid rubbing and touching your skin. As sun is a major irritant never go out without your sunscreen,hat and sunglasses.
MENTION THIS BLOG AND GET 10% OFF ALL ROSACEA SAFE PRODUCTS
Can winter be a time to rejuvenate the skin? Yes it can!
Harsh weather and indoor heat can really dry out the skin making it look dull, dehydrated and damaged. Good exfoliation needs to be accomplished before we can rehydrate. Over the counter scrubs can cause scratches and tears in the skin and some moisturizers can clog pores.
Peels,Microderm and Dermaplane to the rescue!
One session of Microdermabraison, Dermaplane or a Peel can remove the outer dead skin layers,unclog pores and allow for more intense hydration. Sun is best avoided for a few days after microdermabrasion and peels so winter is a great time for a treatment.
Medical grade products for smooth,soft radiant skin
Obagi C Exfoliating Daily Lotion or Obagi Exoderm/Exoderm Forte are great exfoliators. Obagi Exfoliating Cleanser’s gentle beads aid in exfoliating without scratching. Retinol also exfoliates with fewer side effects, like redness and flaking, than prescription Retin A (Tretinoin).
Don’t forget to follow up with a great moisturizer like the Obagi Hydrate, Hydrate Luxe and a sunscreen.
Healthy Skin Club
Our Peels, Microdermabrasion and Dermaplane are already fast and affordable but joining Parkside OBGYN’s Healthy Skin Club http://parksideobgyn.com/2015/09/introducing-parkside-healthy-skin-club for a substantial discount on treatments and products. Call to speak with Shana or Chris our aesthetician to book appointment or a free consultation.